Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Let me eat cake!

Thank you all so much for your comments and emails, I'm still working on returning them!
In order to not spend too much time knitting, I've spent more time baking. I've always loved baking because it lets me create something from scratch in a relatively short amount of time which others get to enjoy as well (I am a bit selfish when it comes to sharing other crafty output, bf socks excluded). I tend to stick to my favorite cakes from my childhood, but with all the wonderful recipes available on the internet, I've been trying to expand the repetoire (and hopefully not the waistline, tehee. How I love a bad pun.). Here are some old stand-by's, and a new recipe that's so good, I've made it twice already:
Rhubarb Crumble Cake
hmm, rhubarb crumble cake from my favourite food blog, delicious days. I love Nicky and Oliver's blog so much, they always post recipes I've been craving (lots of them good old Bavarian fare) and can never seem to find. It's getting a bit strange actually, I'll be intently thinking about something and visit their blog and they'll have posted about it! If you think German food is all about heavy, stomach cramps inducing dishes, you should go and take a look through their archive, if just for the amazing photography! Anyway, this recipe is just perfect. Tart, moist rhubarb and sweet crumbles are a match made in heaven. It's become bf's favorite. You can find it here.
Next, my grammy's sunken apple cake, or in German "versunkener Apfelkuchen", because the apples sink into the dough as it bakes. This is a very easy recipe that requires the apples to be coated in lemon juice. The result is a very light and fresh tasting cake that I can't get enough of.
Sunken Apple Cake
The grooves are made by running a fork down the back of the quartered apples. It looks pretty and soaks up the lemon juice well.
When I get the craving for a little bit of chocolate, I make this recipe from an old roommate's cooking light cookbook (which I'd lost, then found again on their website). Marbled Chocolate Banana Bread:
Chocolate Banana Bread
Don't let that picture fool you, I usually mix the cocoa powder in the whole dough, so that there's chocolatey goodness everywhere, instead of it looking 'marbled'. What I love about this recipe is that it uses just half a stick of butter instead of oil. Most 'breads' you get in stores or coffee shops are too greasy for my taste, this version is not greasy at all, and may seem a bit dry to some palates. Just add a little bit of milk to the dough, or get a big cup of coffee or tea with your slice. I've made a few changes to their recipe: Instead of egg substitute, I use one real egg, instead of chocolate chips I use organic cocoa powder, plus a bit of milk to keep the dough moist enough. I mix my dough really well instead of "just combining it", because I don't like to bite down on bits and pieces of banana.
Ok, now back to knitting..or maybe I should go the gym...

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

MMmmmmm. I love baking, too. I'm just not so keen on sharing what I bake!

Anonymous said...

Yum! That rhubarb cake looks amazing! Thanks for the link!

maritza said...

Oh those all look so delicious, especially the rhubarb crumble cake.

And long live bad puns - I love 'em!

Anonymous said...

I love German apple cake as well! My best friend's mother (from Bavaria) taught me to make it years ago and it's a favourite in our house too.

Anonymous said...

Mmmmh they look all delicious and i think i´ll bake today.

Have a nice Day

Eulchen

Anonymous said...

hmmm yummy! thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

Wow! When's dinner...I'm coming to your house!

Ang

Stacey said...

mmmm - all those look so good! thanks for all the links - I'm always looking for new food blogs!

gabriella said...

i loved reading this post - my mom makes my oma's (handwritten, usually in german) recipes all the time, and nothing - nothing - beats german baked goods. by the way, have you ever been here?: http://www.suppenkuche.com/welcome.html - it's a wonderful german restaurant in the Hayes Valley section of SF. last time i was in town a friend who lives down the street took me there - you should go! if only for the beer selection, which is top-notch. enjoy your cakes - they look delicious! :) ~gabriella

Anonymous said...

That apple cake is gorgeous! Almost too pretty to eat....almost.

Carol said...

mmm...yum, the apple cake looks amazing!! and i want to try the rhubarb crumble too, thanks for sharing the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Baking is so much fun. Just hate the cleaning up part!
Oh wow that apple cake looks divine! Must find a recipe... :0)

a friend to knit with said...

YUMM!
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Steph, Thank you for the lovely feedback and your kind words! I'm glad the cake turned out delicious - you are right, good old Bavarian fare is hard to beat ;)

LW said...

OMG! I so want some cake now!

Cally said...

Hiya amazing knitter! Fab socks.
Thanks for de-lurking. Next time I post a photo with yarn in it you can consider it dedicated to you (but it won't be my knitting, I'm a bad knitter).

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to thank you for your birthday wishes and kind words regarding my brother. Thank you, kindly. x

(I couldn't find your email address.)

ofpinsandneedles said...

That apple cake looks amazing! I'm hoping to visit Germany this summer (I've never been before). The cakes are one of the things I'm looking forward to most (and the beer). Any chance you could share the recipe so I can practise eating German cakes before I get there? :) xo

Krawuggl said...

Ist das gerecht? Ich bemüh mich so, nicht mehr so viel Schokolade zu essen und du verführst mich da mit den wunderbaren Kuchen! Ich MUSS den Schokokuchen heut noch haben, mindestens 1-2-3 kleine Stückchen, vielleicht ein Täßchen Tee dazu, ach ich geh jetzt mal meine Sachen zusammensuchen. Und am Wochenende ist dann wieder der Rhabarber dran - fest ausgemacht!

Pig wot flies said...

mmm, cake. I like the sound of rhubarb crumble cake.

Anna said...

Oooh, you're making me hungry! They all look delish!

Anonymous said...

Der Apfelkuchen sieht aus wie aus dem Ofen meiner Oma. Den hatte ich immer zum Fressen gerne. Leider gehört das der Vergangenheit an.

Aber das Rezept habe ich und wenn ich mich aufraffen würde... Lecker!

AMindField said...

Would it be possible to get the Versunkener Apfelkuchen recipe?