Monday, January 07, 2008

Herringbone Handwarmers

The little garageside office I'm currently blogging from is freezing most of the time. I needed something to keep my hands toasty, but not obstruct finger movement, so I converted Elliphantom's cute herringbone mitts pattern into simple handwarmers.
Herringbone Handwarmers3

Herringbone Handwarmers2
Pattern: Herringbone mitts by elliphantom, available free on her blog
Yarn: 2 skeins of Koigu, in lilac and brown (lost the tags). I used a bit more than half a skein of the brown, and a third of a skein lilac.
Needles: US 1 dpn's
Mods: I converted the pattern from mittens to fingerless gloves, and cast on 66 sts to make up for the smaller gauge (I added 16 sts to the pattern, which is two of the herringbone repeats).

My crafty goals for the new year are to get better at sewing. I'm pretty happy with the accessories I've made this year, but garments still make me freeze up with fear. The problem is that I have high expectations of craftsmanship, and my enthusiasm starts to crumble as soon as the pieces don't quite match up. So, first, I'm gonna lighten up, because I'm not planning to become a dressmaker at the house of Chanel, and second, I'm gonna learn as much as I can and start off with a (hopefully) easy project. Also, I'd like to use up all the odd balls of yarn I have. Some are leftovers from projects, others just single skeins to 'try out' the yarn, so there will be more hoppelpoppel projects. Once I've got 50% used up, I'll get to reward myself with yarn for a planned project. That should be motivation enough ;-)

30 comments:

Elizabeth said...

These are lovely and elegant - I love those colors together. Have fun with sewing garments in '08 - and go easy on yourself. I've been sewing for a long time, and I've learned that there's a lot of room for fudging the results with sewing. So if your pieces don't match up exactly - who cares! Odds are you won't see it in the finished product. Sewing clothes is so wonderfully rewarding - and you can always adjust/change/redo things if you're not happy with the results.

Anonymous said...

I think that might be my goal, too, sewing. My mom got me a sewing machine for Christmas that I have yet to learn how to use. I can seam knitted garments, but can't sew. Hopefully I'll learn how to use it at some point this year!

Anonymous said...

wow those gloves are wonderful!! love em!

Can't wait to see all the lovely sewn garments in '08!

lori said...

Your gloves are quite nice! I hope the weather warms up a little for you in your office!!!

Since last month I've been thinking a lot about your (our?) personal expectations for your (our?) projects. As much as you feel that you need to lighten up, I feel that I could benefit from some of your perfectionist tendencies. It would be great if we could just donate some to each other hunh?

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful! Nice, even stitches. :o) I might make the mitts instead of the mittens I was planning (down the road).

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous gloves!

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful! I totally covet them. They're kind of like an Endpaper - Herringbone hybrid. I'm putting them on my ever-growing list. Thanks for sharing!

Kara said...

You and your fab mitt-i-ness. First the mermaid gloves, now this.

Lolly said...

They are just perfect - they look so elegant on your hands :)

Best of luck with your goal this year. I feel the same type of pressure, and that keeps me away. I really do want to learn more... maybe your progress will encourage me? (how is that for pressure?) :)

opportunityknits said...

These are lovely handwarmers. Best wishes on your sewing goals and I'm so looking forward to your hoppelpoppel projects. I'm sure they're going to be inspiring, I still have your hoppelpoppel socks in mind for my leftovers.

maritza said...

Those are great goals. I love the handwarmers. They're fabulous.

Erin said...

You have impeccable taste as usual. I love the mitts.

Linda said...

The gloves look lovely, just whats needed in the chilly offices! I am sure you will get on fine with the sewing goals judging by the bags you have made!

Navi said...

Beautiful mitts and lovely pics as usual. I liked the idea so much I might copy it.

Terhi said...

Oh so pretty! I love your style.

Anna said...

Gorgeous! I really love those colors together.

Veronique said...

Lovely colors! I love how they're a little bit mottled :)
So you want to get better at sewing?! You?! Your projects are already so professional-looking! I'm sure you'll do fine.

Anonymous said...

These are absolutely fabulous as fingerless mitts! What a great idea!

Stacey said...

a wonderful adaptation of the pattern. the colors you chose are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Knit and Herringbone work so well together. Great job.

Sanditerese said...

Fantastic gloves. I love the way they turned out.

seedless grape said...

Your mitts are beautiful! The color combination is lovely.

Looking forward to seeing all your terrific sewing FOs this year. I love seeing what you create!

Philigry said...

i love those! that sounds like a great plan for the yarn. it is so easy to let things build up. everything you sew is so beautiful and professional already!

yaiAnn said...

Oy! Don't be so hard on yourself, lady! Sewing is fun! Plus you'll be getting professional instruction soon!

Anonymous said...

These are lovely!

twigletqueen said...

Those are just WOW, absolutely stunning!

Liz said...

love those colours together, one of my all time favourite combos... lovely pattern re-do too...

Octopus Knits said...

Very nice!

Romi said...

Love the color combination!

ofpinsandneedles said...

What an inspiring post! Thank you xx