Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Connecting

It truly is amazing what a few days off and good company can do to restore balance and happiness in your life. Before my roadtrip, I'd felt so out of sorts and disconnected that it even affected my speech. I used the wrong words, my grammar was off and at times I was just completely lost for words. Though this can also happen to me when I'm feeling happy, when my highs are so high that the intensity of that emotion leaves me speechless, and I become very quiet and calm, which is often misunderstood. Often, there just isn't any adequate language to describe what is going on inside of me, or sometimes, it's not the right language. It fascinates me to see how much language reflects a society's culture, how some languages have certain words available to describe a particular thing or state of being, that others don't. My good friend M feels 'round' when everything is in balance, and that comes really close to what I've been feeling these past two weeks, just round (and I've been eating so much yummy food lately that it can be applied physically as well ;-)
On the fourth of July I had lunch with Mary of Mamie makes, who was in San Francisco on business. We meet at a tea house right across from Imagiknit, which luckily was closed, no temptations there! Mary's blog has given me so much inspiration over the months, and I always hoped I'd get to meet her someday. Some people you just know you're going to click with, even if you've never met them in person. Three hours later, I wish I could have kidnapped her to chat all night! She brought me surprises from NY, Japanese pastry that was devoured, eh, savoured instantly and a beautiful Japanese book with designs of Japanese fabric. Thank you Mary, for the gifts, but mostly for the lovely time I had.
Surprises also came by mail from across the ocean. First, an envelope from Finland from Mari (who doesn't have a blog, I think), containing beautiful self-striping Novita wool yarn in beachglass colors. Definitely socks, I'm thinking.
FinnishGifts
I love the bird motif on the envelope!
A package from Germany arrived on my doorstep yesterday. Suzi sent me a spare Rowan magazine and as a surprise included this beautiful yarn dyed by her friend Claudia, aka Die Wollmeise.
Suzi'sGift
The color is 'Rhabarber' or rhubarb, and so luscious I want to eat it. She also included this cute card from a bazaar, what a great idea to use up left-over yarn.
Mari and Suzi, thank you both so much, I'm so excited about these beautiful presents!
My little give-away (some fabric and yarn) will happen tomorrow around 9am. Whoever leaves the first comment, gets what they like. I'll pay for the shipping, no matter where to.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love all the nice yarn you got! So fun! I'll have to remember, tomorrow, 9am... ;)

maritza said...

Same thing happens to me with speech when I get stressed out. Glad to see you're feeling better and that your trip and some good company has brought you to a good place - that yyou're feeling "round." I love that expression.

Knittypants said...

Welcome back. What lovely gifts you received, I love the rhubarb yarn, it's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

lucky you! with all those delicous presents. i know what you mean about meeting someone you've never met but feeling like you've known them forever. amazing, isn't it!

Anonymous said...

What lovely gifts! I *love* the rhubarb yarn - so much that I'm now craving rhubarb crisp.

Krawuggl said...

Genauso geht es mir auch oft, mir fehlen so oft die rechten Worte, dann fallen mir immer nur die gleichen Wörter wie großartig, super usw. ein, und die stimmen auch, aber gleichzeitig find ich sie schon so oft benutzt und irgendwie gar nicht genug, um meine Gefühle auszudrücken. (Und noch schlimmer ist es, wenn ich es dann auch noch in Englisch ausdrücken muß) Sich "rund" zu fühlen, ist dagegen ein wunderbarer Begriff, du hast eine sehr kluge Freundin.
Danke für die lieben Worte, ich wünsch dir viel Spaß,
Suzi

Gina said...

OOOHHH. That rhubarb colorway does look yummy!

Risë said...

the rhubarb yarn looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Oohhhhhhh....a Craftoholic give-away!!!!!! Wouldn't that just be the perfect 'third' to my day - - I'm already wearing my Craftoholic-insprired clapotis, and I have home-made rhubarb jam on my lunchtime sandwich!

:)

Carola said...

Good to hear that you are feeling 'round' again. And - Great gifts! I'm looking forward to see the socks appear on your blog someday and I am speechless about the Rhubarb yarn. This colour accuracy! I have to pick some from the garden NOW and make a Rhubarb cake..

Chris said...

That rhubarb yarn does look good enough to eat... even without sugar. ;)