Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Color, Chocolate and Jewelry

Chocolate
Mmhh, rolls right off the tongue. My chocolate consumption has gone up quite a bit lately, not because it was Valentine's day, but because I found a new love: Dark chocolate. I never used to like it, but for Christmas a kind coworker gave me a sample box of the most delicious dark chocolate by Vosges Haute Chocolate. The Oaxaca bar has bits of chili and pepper in it which combine so well with the dark chocolate. I'm also curious to try their
Red Fire bar with ancho&chipotle chili peppers and Ceylon cinnamon or the Black Pearl Bar with Japanese ginger, wasabi and black sesame seeds. On top are two bars by another favorite, Dagoba. On a trip to Anthropologie long ago I found Marie Belle's Chocolate Rose Tea. So yummy. This makes me sound like a chocoholic...I'm not really, but these are so tasty! I eat my bars very slowly, so one lasts about two weeks. The Oaxaca is long gone, but I got the two bars of Dagoba for my birthday last weekend which are current wip's. There was also a new yarn purchase. I know you want to give me a hard time when you see the photo because you think it's socks....
Pomatomus
nooo, I'm making fingerless mitts, using the Pomatomus pattern from Knitty. I was going crazy not having a portable project (a Big Wool cardi is not portable whatsoever. I've tried) but didn't want to do socks. The silvery aqua Koigu was so pretty and really asked to be knit up in that wonderful pattern. It's gorgeous, and easy to memorize. I'm using US 1's instead of the called for #2's and so far the so.., eh, glove fits perfectly. I'm getting a little creeped out at times when the veins in my hands are popping, because their color match the yarn exactly. Can you see it?
Koigu in 'Vein'
The Big Wool cardi is still not progressing because I keep changing the design. I'm reading Maggie Righetti's Sweater Design in Plain English and she's making me a little insecure with her expertise. I wanted a sweater with purl side out but Maggie says this creates funny bulges. Maggie also says that 2x2 rib is a bad idea for a button band, because it will stretch out infinitely. Now I'm not sure if I believe everything she says, but it's hard not to listen to a woman with so many years of experience. Just from reading blogs alone I've learned a lot of what not to knit. But come on, a 2x2 rib button band? They're everywhere! And unless you have a toddler pulling your cardi all day long, how much can it really stretch out? I'm going to ignore the button band advice.
Here is the necklace I've been making for my co-workers, just a simple gold wire circle on a delicate chain. There was no morning sun and I took this myself, but you get the idea.
Circle necklace

15 comments:

me said...

Dark chocolate is heaven! I'm not too fond of the Dagoba though. You should try the Tropical Source bars. So far, and I've tried a LOT of dark chocolate (but vegan also), they are my favorite.

=)

Melissa said...

i just saw a story on the vosges chocolate the other day - very interesting. i'll have to get my butt over there to try some out one day.

nice necklace. very sleek and modern!

Anonymous said...

Your socks... emmm... fingerless mitts are looking absolutely fabulous!

Anonymous said...

OH yes... Happy Belated Birthday! I forget if I wished you a Happy one to begin with! The fingerless mitts look great.. And I'm not sure either about her advice on a 2x2 button band.. Will definitely have to try those chocolates. I remember you told me about Dagoba a while back. And if your coworker doesn't want that necklace, can I have it? ;)

Unknown said...

hmm..dark chocolate..yum...love the necklace you made. I saw one with some rhinestones the other day. They call it " circle of love" or something. Your's is much better. Very Chic. Happy Belated Bday!

Anonymous said...

Love the socks! And that necklace is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

the necklace is absolutely beautiful! wow!

so is the "glove" (are you sure you don't want to add a heel? ;-)) but it's making me a little cranky at the same time because i have to rip miles and miles of my pomatomus sock as i effed up the pattern. argh.

KnittenKnots said...

Mmmm...the chocolate sounds delicious. I've never tried the Dagoba but I will after that endorsement. The necklace is beautiful and I really like the fingerless gloves - that koigu is a great color.

Lori said...

The glove is beautiful! What a great idea... might have to steal it. (the idea, not the glove and/or the yarn)(although the yarn is beautiful and I might want that too...)

I love the necklace also. Simple clean lined jewellry is so beautiful.

Anonymous said...

So where do I apply for a job?

Anonymous said...

Have you been to Fog City News magazine/news store at 455 Market St? - lotsa chocalate (besides lotsa magazines):) Beautiful work you do. Terry in SF

Elizabeth said...

Wow, I love the idea of using that lace pattern for hand warmers. It looks gorgeous so far - and the color you chose is lovely. I'm so impressed with you 2005 FO gallery! Lovely colors and patterns - beautiful work. :)

Krawuggl said...

The neglace is beautiful, simple and elegant. Super finde ich deine Idee mit den Handschuhen, das Muster ist ja auch zu schön, als es in Schuhen zu verstecken. Freu mich schon auf das fertige Bild!
Liebe Grüße und ein schönes Wochenende wünsch ich dir,
Suzi

Kucki68 said...

I have recently turned the purl side out on a sweater because I liked the effect better. Try it.

Emily Scott Banks said...

I just found your blog today, the knitting is gorgeous, btw, but that circle necklace made me stop in my tracks...it's so lovely!