Thursday, May 22, 2008

Jonna

I've been on a minimalist trip for a while. My favorite colors right now are white, grey and blue. Simple shapes. No patterns, no frills or details. So I surprised myself when I felt the desire to knit the Jonna scarf from Berroco's Norah Gaughan Volume 1. Was I really going to wear are scarf with, ugh, bobbles dangling from the edges??? Well, yes indeed. I had a few skeins of yarn in my stash in a beautiful steel blue color, which would help tone down those frivolous bobbles just a bit. Paired with dark jeans, a white top (my favourite uniform) and a vintage coat, the bobbles add some spark to an otherwise unassuming outfit.
Jonna2
Jonna3
pattern: Jonna, from berroco Norah Gaughan Volume 1
yarn: Poshyarn sock yarn held double
needles: US 8 circs
mods: I knit the bobbles in the round on dpn's instead of flat and seaming them up; and I used cotton quilt batting to stuff the balls instead of polyfill (the name alone sounds itchy and scratchy).

Next on my plate is the lovely Shalom cardi by Meghan. I am pretty excited about this pattern because many months ago I had ripped out a picture of a Paul & Joe cardi with the intent of copying the design. Meghan loved that cardi too and wrote up a pattern for it. How awesome to find something you've wanted to make and then another blogger writes up a pattern and shares it. Thanks Meghan! I'm making this with Rowan Big Wool that was meant for another cardi that never came to be. And I'm thinking of adding sleeves. Sure it's already pretty toasty here in SF, but bulky wool knits up pretty fast, right? Right!

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the scarf. Would have never given it another thought had I not seen it in your Flickr album. Thanks for being an inspiration!

Toby said...

The scarf looks great - you're weearing it well. I've had my eye on that one too and wondered whether I could pull off bobbles or not. It's nice to see this one outside of the pattern book, it gives me a bit more confidence about it. :)

I may just have to steal your idea of using sock yarn held double - I have tons of it in my stash.

Elizabeth said...

It looks great on you. Not sure I could pull off this look, but you're rockin' it.

Meghan said...

You're welcome ;) and thanks for making Jonna--I have been eyeing that pattern for ages. I absolutely love those huge, silly bobbles!

spajonas said...

i love those bobbles! and i think that they work so well BECAUSE they are big and silly. awesome.

Anonymous said...

wow how cute and unique. I always love unique and original design!

Linda said...

The scarf looks great and I do like that colour. Shalom is a nice pattern, thank you fo rthe link. :)

Tania Ho said...

Gorgeous, I love it ! One more pattern to add to my Ravelry queue ....

nicole said...

Of course I totally LOVE it!!! Such a great colour, and it goes so well with your beloved neutrals.

I've got Shalom queued too. Long sleeves sounds like a very good idea. I'll stay posted to see yours.

amanda said...

what a fun, interesting scarf!

Philigry said...

the whole outfit is perfect. i love the scarf. i saw that cardi on meghan's blog a few months ago and I fell in love with it. it has been in the back of my mind ever since. I do like your idea of adding sleeves though. i can not wait to see it.

WandaWoman said...

Cute scarf! It looks perfect with your outfit.

maritza said...

The scarf came out beautifully. I love the whole outfit, especially that coat. You're so stylish. :)
And thanks for linking to the Shalom cardi. I hadn't seen it before, and now I totally want to knit it. It is going on my queue. What a lovely pattern!

Allegra said...

the scarf looks great. i too am weirded out by the bobbles, but in the color you chose and your whole beautiful ensemble, i think i might have to put it on my rav queue.....

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that scarf is fabulous!! (And so is your coat, BTW!) I don't know if I would have thought twice about it, but it really does look so great on, the way you have it. Fun, without being over the top. very cute!

Anne K. said...

The scarf is to die for, and the whole outfit is terrific. Understated, yet surprising. Mellow, yet commanding. Gee, am I describing your outfit or a fine Napa wine???!!! :-)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I love all your projects especially the weekender bag.

Veronique said...

Love the bobbles. At first, I thought they were pompoms, but it's so much better that they are knitted!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful jonna. Would that be posh yarn from the UK and if so, which yarn. Please - thank you.

saffron skye

craftoholic said...

Hi saffron skye,
yes, it's the posh yarn from the UK, but if was leftovers gifted to me by a friend and there were no ball bands (and I think it was a custom dye job as well), sorry!

Krawuggl said...

Weiß du, was mich immer wieder am meisten erstaunt? Daß du dir immer genau die Sachen zum Stricken rauspickst, die dann haargenau zu dir passen. Egal ob ein Mantel, Jacke, Mützchen oder jetzt den Schal, du siehst einfach umwerfend toll damit aus. Denn das ist es ja wohl, was jede Strickerin gern möchte, damit sich selber zu unterstreichen, das Tüpfelchen auf dem i für die eigene Individualität. Und der Schal ist klasse, er steht dir wahnsinnig gut, grad in Kombination mit dem tollen alten Mantel, ach was beneid ich dich um dein sicheres Händchen für Stil, Mixturen und einer kleinen Prise Humor. Toll!

Anonymous said...

Love it!

Rene'

Lolly said...

I love the whole aesthetic here. This scarf is really nice. I have that book but haven't made anything from it yet. I need to remedy that :)

Love the Shalom. Looking forward to seeing that one come together.

cookie said...

great scarf!!
love

Toni said...

I just love it. And you certainly pulled it off. Wow.. I knew I had seen it somewhere.... I had seen it in an ad in Interweave.. took awhile to make the connection. Great Scarf, GREAT Photos...

juicyknits said...

This is lovely!

Octopus Knits said...

Wow! That is really beautiful :)