Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Crafty Bootcamp

While the blogging has been sparse, the crafting is going full throttle! I'm leaving for Germany next Wednesday and though I had done such a good job these past weeks in adhering to strict crafting schedules, I'm running behind all of a sudden. A few things I hoped to have done will have to wait until I get back (my sunhat may just turn into a rainhat then). I wanted to sew a dress and a top, that'll have to wait too. Buttercup may not get done either. I finished the back and front pieces, but now I'm stalling on the sleeves. See, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be more useful if the sleeves were elbow length instead of short (I'd be eliminating the button closure part). Also, having stared at the tie closure for awhile, I picture that tie coming undone easily unless I double tie....but do I want a chunky knot right above my belly button? No. Should I just do a button closure? What do you guys think?
Quilt&Knit
I finished the quilt top for my niece and I'm really happy with it. It's based on Denyse Schmidt's 'A Hop, Skip and a Jump' quilt from her book. I don't have the book so I made up my own pieces. For those of you unfamiliar with the design, yes, they're supposed to be crooked. I'll machine quilt it this weekend, so you'll see it finished before I leave. At the top right corner you can see a bit of the green backing fabric, it's called "Happy Homemaker". Nothing like subliminal programming starting in the crib (I love those little irons, I started ironing my family's laundry when I was five or six, it was my absolut favorite thing to do. My sister may thank me a few years from now). Did I ever mention that I went to a girl's high school AND a women's college? A double feminist education and all I dream of is being able to stay home all day to sew, knit and bake. Well, and travel.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous quilt! That's one lucky little niece and I love that you've added a fabric with little irons. If this is for you sister's daughter, I'm sure that your sister will soon thank you for doing all the ironing for the family (altho I'm still waiting for my brother to thank me for doing his wash for years....).

Have a wonderful time in Germany!

Nadia said...

Beautiful top! Love the blank space to make the pinks all that much more effective.

Unknown said...

I think button will look great. I haven't decide what to do with mine yet. I set aside the back and work on the front a little bit over the weekend..and guess what? I'm having problem with the pattern stitch again. arrrggg..I wonder I'll ever finish this top. Anyways, the quilt top is very pretty. Enjoy your trip to germany.

p/s: I might have to bug you again, hope you don't mind :)

Anonymous said...

oooh, i can't wait to see more details of all your crafty goodness! The quilt looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

aww you're leaving?!
have fun in germany!!

I would do longer sleeves (3/4'ish) and a button

maritza said...

Wow, you sound super-busy with all that crafting. Go you! The quilt top looks great! Your niece will so love it!
I think a button instead of a tie closure would be the way to go for Buttercup, but I am biased. For the most part, I'm not a fan of tie closures.
Have a fabulous time in Germany!

Anonymous said...

I love how your quilt top is looking, and can't wait to see you finished quilt.

Stacey said...

Great job on the quilt top - looks as good as the "real" design!

Anonymous said...

Love the quilt! I'm sure you'll have a ton o' fun in Germany...and buttons are fun , so my vote goes there. :)

-Ashley-

jen said...

Lovely quilt! Maybe this type of pattern would be a good one for me as my corners arn't the greatest. My daughter would love this one too.

ofpinsandneedles said...

The buttons on the sleeves are almost my favourite features of the Buttercup. I'm also dubious about the tie closure, so in my ideal world you'd have buttons at the elbow and at the ribcage. I wonder if that's possible?

The quilt looks lovely. Can't wait to see it finished!

KnittenKnots said...

The quilt top is beautiful... And I hear you on the stay home and knit, bake and sew. I'm all over that sweet action - sadly I spend my days trapped in a cubicle slaving over a computer. LOL - that sounds really depressing, doesn't it? :-D

FairyGodKnitter said...

I used to be a professional feminist - I worked for NOW while I was in college. There is nothing wrong with being a "Happy Homemaker", the whole point is doing and being what you are good at and what makes you happy. And being proud of it. There is so much strength in crafting, being able to out do technology with handmade, homecooked, handknit. You're saving civilization one stitch at a time.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a beautiful quilt! HOw was the machine quilting? it sounds a little scary to me. I hope you were able to get some projects done before your trip to Germany. Also, thanks so much for your helpful tips with the weekender bag. It's great to get some expert advice:) (I wanted to email you my thanks, but couldn't find your email).

Anonymous said...

That's going to be such a stunning little quilt when it's all finished. I can't wait to see some pics!

Pip

www.pipandtom.com

Anonymous said...

but it's your CHOICE to want to do that, and not imposed by your husband, society etc. that's the beauty of feminismn as i see it
hi! i'm in CH now. at home all day, running after a 8-month old. i'd rather be knitting frankly, but so far she's not letting me.
have a good time at ... 'home'.

stefana said...

The quilt top looks beautiful, very nicely balanced. Can't wait to see the final result!

TheSteph said...

I made this quilt, too! I love the quilting pattern you used. I have been struggling with what to do with it. Nice idea. I love that you didn't have the book but still made the pieces yourself. Awesome.