Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Weather-induced insanity

Normally I'm not a big complainer when it comes to weather as I figure there's nothing I can do about it anyway, except dress appropriately. But I'm really glad the Bay Area is having a short respite, because my online shopping has gone overboard. See, normally I don't enjoy shopping, going downtown is always accompanied by pangs of anxiety due to crowds, and I don't like accumulating so much stuff because of my nomadic lifestyle (less stuff means easier moves), but the rain has kept me staring at the computer screen instead of out the window, and for the last few weeks little packages have arrived containing old buttons and vintage fabric from ebay, more fabric from Reprodepot.com, an out-of-print book by my favorite photographer, Sarah Moon, and yarn!!! Not just any old yarn, but four skeins of Sundara yarn, ordered from Yahaira's new online shop, Pure Knits.
SundaraYarn
From top to bottom there are two skeins of cupid and two skeins of bisque sockyarn. Opening the package was like unwrapping a present, so beautiful in pink and brown tissue with lovely ribbon. I sniffed the yarn, thought about Purly dyeing and Yahaira sending it, two fellow knitters whose blogs I've been reading for a long time, looking unsuccessfully for a little Simon or Eddy fur in there, and just felt the love. It is gorgeous, and the first time since last year that I've bought yarn without a project in mind. So yes, while the shopping has been most gratifying, the crafting has been all over the place with not much to show for. My top-down Big Wool cardi is still only a few rows long. I've spend a lot more time recently with this:
Weekender Bag
The weekender bag by Amy Butler (really though, this is more purse-size by my standards, all the stuff I need for a weekend would never fit in there!). I may be in way over my head with this one, but it is so cute I had to give it a try. Underneath the pattern is my main fabric, from Amy's Sunbloom line. If you haven't been to her site recently, she's just put out a couple of new lines that are very pretty, with muted colors that I like much better than some of her very bright earlier designs.
It took me two weekends to find all necessary supplies for the bag, though I'm cheating with some. Instead of Timtex I got Peltex at JoAnn's. It's pretty stiff and should work just as well. The next problem was locating a 30" non-separating zipper, so I ended up getting a 36" separating one which I'll just shorten. I found it in the parka zipper section, lots of color choices there, though mine is just plain white to go with the green and white fabric. Cutting all the pieces out is taking a long time, and I've been secretly fearing my sewing machine may not be up to the task of chugging through a quarter inch thick layer of material. I'll find out this weekend.
I wanted to add a thank you to all those who left a comment on my Kathy cardi, they made me very happy. I'd gotten so many emails from people asking for sock patterns, after Grumperina had posted about my Mata Hari's, that I was quite overwhelmed. I sent over a hundred emails to people, but the comment thank you's suffered. So, thank you :-)

12 comments:

yahaira said...

whoa! how am I first? does it look bad that Im first? anyway, Im so glad you liked the yarn and the packaging! It took me forever to find that ribbon. It's so strange and awesome seeing something I sent out on a friend's blog.

that bag is so awesome, but definitely not a weekend bag for me either ;)
I love the fabric you chose!

Anonymous said...

Love the new sock yarn - it's so beautiful.

I'm about to embark on an Amu Butler bag myself (the nappy bag to continue the baby theme that seems to be dominating all my projects at the moment...). It calls for cotton canvas to make it more rigid I guess, but I'll be damned if I know how stiff it's supposed to be. It's turning out to be an expensive little excercise as well! Any tips? I'm afraid I don't know what either Timtex or Peltex are. I should probably google them.

Good luck with your sewing!

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see your weekender bag. I'm sure it will turn out gorgeous like any of your knits.

Anonymous said...

Aww, you're so sweet, checking for Eddie and Simon fur in your yarn! I can't believe how many patterns you've had to mail out! My own Mata Haris - about 70% complete (one finished, the other is about 1/3 done)... they'll be done soon enough!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm awake now! How you been?
I did the online yarn shopping spree during middle of the night feedings a few months back. And guess what, I bought the Weekender bag last week. When I read the shopping list for it, I pretty much gave up on making it. But I got the pattern now, should I have three days free to assemble all the ingredients. Looking forward to yours.

Chris said...

Oh, aren't those Sundara/Pure Knits packages fun?? You get the excitement of receiving the package in the mail, and then the exquisite yarn wrapping inside that package.

Looking forward to seeing your Weekender Bag! I don't sew at all, so I will be spectacularly impressed. :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely new haul! Thanks for the heads up on the Amy Butler fabrics, they are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

That sock yarn looks extremely tempting. I am in love with her multi-colors.

Carol said...

I love the green and white Sunbloom you chose for your bag! And I agree, thank goodness the sun is out for a bit...hopefully it will last awhile...

HPNY KNITS said...

I also just ordered some Sundara yarn, and cant wait to receive it!!!
no project in mind yet. I figure it will come when I touch it!

Anonymous said...

Aaaawww, I'm feeling the love! If I had known you would be the one getting this yarn, I would have had the kitties rub up against it for you. Although they probably did sit on it. Eddie sits on all the yarn. Or chews it. He's awful.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you knit out of it!

Anonymous said...

oHHHHH! I'm nearly finished with MY weekender bag: hand sewing the lining is a pain...in the finger! Other than that, it's done. Are you finished with it yet? Patience was the key, and kissing my machine for handling the thickness. Post a pic